Saturday, January 12, 2013

UPDATE


This was a conversation that happened recently between a southern Texan teacher and a North Indian student.

“Sir?”

“Sir?”

“No, sir—“

“Ok, sir.”

“No, I mean, sir?”

“Sir?”

“No, you sir.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Pardon, sir?”

“Sir?”

“Sir, I have a question.”

“Yes, sir.”

“No, sir, it’s not a yes or no question.”

“No, sir.”

“So I can’t ask a question, sir?”

“Yes, sir?”

“No, you, sir.”

“Please, sir.”

“Sir, I have a---“

“Yes, sir.”
“Yes? Sir?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Sir, are you talking to me?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Sir?”

“Sir.”

“Never mind sir.”

(Other students in the lab watching and giggling.)




UPDATE

I’m writing this from a cold cell of room in New Delhi. J It’s not that bad, and yet, it is. My toilet came without toilet paper and with “water” all over the floor, so I put a rug in there just to use it. It’s colder inside my room than outside. And someone comes and knocks on my door when food is ready giving me no choice in time or options. Even though I eat the same thing every meal, it is nice to have food. So I’m still quite thankful.

Life in London is grand, though, I’m gone sometimes. In October, I went home (Nigeria) for my cousin’s wedding. Having been gone for over 20-something years, it was good to go back. And I was able to work from my company’s Nigeria office that week and avoid using up vacation days. The wedding was grand, and I really enjoyed it. The bride and groom danced like there was no tomorrow. I think they were both quite thankful as they were probably in the very late 30’s or early 40’s.


I had to go to India in November but was able to fly to the States just in time for Thanksgiving. I stayed for the weekend and we had a surprise 60th birthday for my father. Boy, was he surprised! It was a big to-do. We had waiters, speeches, catered food, dance performances, a cake cutting ceremony, song performances, decorations, and customized party favours from diaries, notebooks, mugs, and pens. It was a really good time. I sang “Wind Beneath My Wings” not too terribly well. It was well enough for a music producer to come up to me and ask for my information. He was sorely disappointed when he found out I didn’t live in the States. I also participated in a 9-person Azonto dance performance. If you don’t know Azonto, it’s the Ghanaian dance craze that is sweeping the world. Ha ha! I don’t know if it’s that big, but both CNN and BBC have done short reports on it. I like it because it is simple and easy . . . and because you can see my neighbourhood in the popular Azonto video.



I spent Christmas and New Year’s in Niger, an interesting, magical, and quite horrific experience all in one. I’ll tell you more about it later. In general, everything is well, and I should be done here in Delhi in about 2 weeks or so. I may travel this upcoming weekend, and would really like a recommendation from India-knowledgeable friends from whom I haven’t heard. I want to wish you a wonderfully Happy New Year! May you be challenged by big dreams, have the courage to endeavor daring risks, and faithfully enter new beginnings this year of 2013.

2 comments:

PrajK said...

Glad you got to go to Nigeria for your cousin's wedding. That's really cool. Also loved the dance.

praj

Victor said...

Fo Sho